Major events are unlike any other business. They attract considerable media attention; draw sizeable investment from Government and/or the private sector; involve a mass gathering of participants; contain a non-negotiable start date; and are one-off, without the benefit of continuous improvement.
All this means that major events are exposed to a unique set of risks involving safety, security, legal, financial, environmental, project-based and, most importantly, reputational risk.
Preparation is essential
Risk management for events must start early. This ensures that all essential risk management criteria are set in place. Considerations include budget allocation, contract details, management systems, governance, risk, compliance and accountability structures.
Reliance Risk provides event specific services to assist event organisers:
- Event Risk Management Plans – covering event context, risk registers, roles and responsibilities and insurance certificates.
- Event Safety Plans – including risk assessments, contractor safety and emergency management.
- Event Operating Plans – including detailing venue relationships, event team organisational structures, functional area suppliers, and event delivery plans.
- Event Risk Officers – provision of an event safety and risk on-site auditor and post incident loss investigator for events.
- Operational readiness – scenario planning, readiness inspections, desk-top exercises and simulations.
- Verification – audit of event risk management or crowd management plans.
- Crowd capacity estimates – we work with venues to establish appropriate crowd capacity estimates.
Reliance Risk Projects
Reliance Risk has a wealth of experience in event planning in both risk, safety, security and operations, providing the right skills set to suit each client’s needs:
- Fairfax Events – Conducting risk assessments for events such as The Sun-Herald City2Surf, Sydney Half-Marathon and Night Noodle Markets (2010-2011)
- Public Arts Exhibitions – Event Risk Management Framework and Operational Readiness Inspections; Sculpture by the Sea Bondi and Cottesloe (2008-2011).
- Events NSW – Developing a Risk Management Framework and Excel-based risk assessment tool (2010-2011).
- Octagon Events – Development of an Event Risk Management Framework (2011).